IT IS FINALLY HERE!
The Conroe Community Cemetery Restoration Project announces the first cleanup day for this historic African American cemetery.
The cleanup will begin at 8:00 AM and we will work until about 4:00 PM. A light lunch and water will be provided to the participants. The cemetery is located on Tenth Street between the Oakwood Cemetery and the Conroe Normal College. You can GOOGLE MAP IT HERE.
Parking will be at the nearby Flournoy Park or in the driveway of the Conroe Normal College. Please do not park in the Oakwood Cemetery.
DUE TO THE POOR CONDITIONS OF THE LIBRARY NOBODY UNDER THE AGE OF 18 WILL BE PERMITTED ON THE PROPERTY!!!
Things to wear, bring, and rules
- Wear long pants, long sleeves, gloves, sturdy shoes and a hat.
- You will receive a brief training session before you begin and sign a waiver.
- Because of the unique nature of the cemetery and the safety of our volunteers we will only use hand tools such as loppers, hand pruners and small tree saws. !! NO POWER TOOLS!! Please bring any hand tools if you have them as every bit will help.
- Teams of 3 will be cutting and moving brush to an area to dry. Take brush off at ground level and don’t cut any plants marked with orange ribbon.
- Black cemeteries have typically used plants, objects & offerings to mark graves. This may be our only evidence of a grave. If it’s disturbed, it is lost forever.
- DON’T MOVE ANY OBJECTS AT THIS TIME BECAUSE THEY MAY MARK A GRAVE. IF YOU DO YOU WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE!